Monetization Setup Google Analytics for Your BYO App

Discussion in 'BYO Discussions' started by Lin, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Lin

Lin iOS Developer Staff Member

Google Analytics (GA) recently released the updated V2.0 SDK for iOS and Android. GA 2.0 contains support for new features and a new reporting interface designed specifically for mobile app.

What's new in GA 2.0?

- More powerful reports for app developers. The standard reports have been redesigned for app developers, adding new reports like Engagement Flow and Google Play Sources to help developers gain new insight into user acqusition and experience.
    - New app dimensions and metrics. New app-specific dimensions and metrics have been introduced with version 2, including Screen Name and Screen Views, App Name, App version, and many more.
    - Custom dimensions and metrics. Create custom dimensions to segment your data in new ways.

How to setup GA 2.0?

- If you have never setup a Google Analytics Profile for you site before (which we doubt), you need to create a new app profile (Again make sure you choose Mobile App).

Here is the guide: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2614741

- Existing BYO customers you can double check whether you are using Google Analytics for Mobile App - if you see "App Overview" on the entry screen once you login, you are all set.

- Since GA 2.0 requires a Mobile App Profile to work, if you are using an existing Google Analytics for Web Profile in your app, you are required to create a new Mobile App Profile by following this guide: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2614741

- Once you created a new Profile, copy the Profile ID, and fill this into our Forum Owner Aera -> Build My Own App -> Your App -> Add-ons -> Google Analytics Profile ID:

setup.png

What we track?

Track Screens

- All threads view will be tracked (more or less similar to Page View in Web sense), regardless it is read from cached or from the switching, also switching pages within the same thread will be tracked too, e.g.
    - All sub-forum view will be tracked - e.g. when user enter into a sub-forum, it should track:
    - And all other views are tracked, e.g.:
    Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 11.44.57 AM.png

Track Events

- All XMLRPC requests will be tracked as events.
    • Event category will be "rpc"
    • Event action will be the RPC method name, like "get_thread"
    - All Admob banner requests and displays will be tracked as events.
    • Event category will be "admob"
    • Event action will be "request" (when the banner request is fired) or "display" (when the request is successfully filled by the ad provider)
    • Event label will be Admob Publisher ID, like "a1234567"
    - All DFP banner requests and displays will be tracked as events.
    • Event category will be "dfp"
    • Event action will be "request" (when the banner request is fired) or "display" (when the request is successfully filled by the ad provider)
    • Event label will be DFP ad unit ID, like "/1234567/320x50"
    Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 11.46.56 AM.png
    We hope you will find this tracking helpful.

Let us know if you run into any issues and we are happy to assist.

Aljuve Inc and thaivisa like this.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. thaivisa

thaivisa Member

This is awesome, guys!

3. marcelomoti

marcelomoti New Member

Hi, my google analytics is not working for my BYO, but general Tapatalk is working. I create new Analytics ID nowadays
    by forum is autoforum.com.br

4. winter

winter Tapatalk Master Staff Member

You need to make sure you have entered the GA code in the console before submitting the app to App Store. Otherwise you will have to resubmit it as an update for this to start working.

5. marcelomoti

marcelomoti New Member

Thats it.
    I didn't noticed that I need regenerate the APK to make analytics work.
    Thank you

6. DannyITR

DannyITR New Member

Hello,

I can't find: Forum Owner Area -> Build My Own App -> Where is this in the forum owner area?

Also if I'm building my own app, does that mean I'm no longer considered part of Tapatalk and don't' show up in searches?

mikeo likes this.
  7. mikeo

mikeo Super Moderator Staff Member